Now it is your turn. I need some suggestions for books to read for these specific places. I have some books in mind, but want to get recommendations from people who have been there, read that. In some cases, a reader has asked me for help. In others I plan a trip myself and want to add a book to the traveler’s library. Any and all suggestions welcome. Leave a comment, or tweet me at @pen4hire. (and no, the at @ is not redundantly repetitive.)
2. France (not building houses in Province, please. I’ll read Monet’s Gardens, but it is mostly pictures.)
3. Sweden (Plays I have aplenty–Ibsen and Strindberg, but what about other literature?)
4. Scotland (Shakespeare’s Macbeth? Braveheart the movie.)
5. Costa Rica (I’m a total blank)
6. Canada (Someone specifically asked about Montreal)
7. Morocco (Paul Bowles? The biography of Paul Bowles by Allen Hibbard?
8. Switzerland(I love Mistress to an Age, which covers Switzerland and France during Napoleonic times, but that is not really about the country of Switzerland.)
9. Vietnam (I once read a nice novel/memoir? about a young man traveling Vietnam by bicycle. Do you know the name?)
10. Oregon (I have my great great grandfather’s account of crossing America on the Oregon trail, but that does not count as literature, nor does it tell us much about Oregon.)
What say you?